Collegium Maius is the oldest university buildings in Poland, dating back to the 14th century. It was rebuilt in the second half of the 15th century in a late-Gothic style with a vast courtyard surrounded with arcades. In 1517 a well was built in the center of the courtyard. The famous courtyard clock performs a little show with wooden figures of kings and professors at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3 p.m (with extra shows in summer at 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.). It is worth mentioning that Nicolaus Copernicus was a student there in 1490. The renowned Jagiellonian Library was located in the building until 1940.
After the renovation which took place in the years 1949-1964 the Museum of the Jagiellonian University was established in Collegium Maius. The museum located in historic rooms with original furnishing presents a collection of the old European art, unique science instruments, as well as the oldest surviving globe depicting the Americas. Downstairs there is a separate interactive exhibition entitled Everything is a number devoted to mathematics. It demonstrates mathematics` importance in life through 65 interesting experiments.
There is a gift shop Negotiolum, conference rooms, and a cellar cafe on the premises.
Guided tour (in Polish) takes ca. 30 minutes in groups of up to 20 persons.
Opening hours: Mon, Wed, Thu, Fri: 10:00 – 14:20, Tue 10:00 – 15:20, Sat 10:00 – 14:40 Note: Closed on Sundays. English guided tours possible after booking Mon – Fri 1 p.m.
Permanent exhibition together with the exhibition of scientific instruments and the gallery of Medieval sculpture
Mon – Fri, 1 p.m. guided tour in English, only after booking. Time – ca. 60 minutes.
Regular 12 PLN (temporary exhibition – 7 PLN)
Reduced 6 PLN (temporary exhibition – 5 PLN)
Children (under 7) free entrance
On Tuesdays admission free of charge in the afternoon.
Address: ul. Jagiellońska 15, 31 – 010 Kraków
Phone (+48) 12 422 05 49
Booking (+48) 12 663 15 21
Booking in advance (+48) 12 422 27 34